At Baker’s Cay, we have woven elements of sustainability and conservation throughout the resort, with the hope that we will inspire our guests, meeting planners and team members to take some small elements back home with and practice stewardship of our beautiful earth and oceans, particularly the delicate Florida Keys eco-system.
Our sustainability focus began with the use of sustainable and locally sourced materials in the resort’s new design, and continued with the sourcing of responsible in-room amenities and products, partnerships with vendors focused on conservation and upcycling, on-site and nearby educational opportunities, resort-wide water filling stations, use of Proud Source aluminum water bottles in guest rooms and meeting rooms, plus our unique Dock to Dish program that marries sustainable fishing practices with education and a tactile culinary experience.
Resort And Guestrooms
- Local and sustainably sourced materials used throughout resort redesign.
- Use of Lather brand in-room bulk amenities; a carbon-neutral business using EcoPure recyclable packaging and soy-based ink.
- Canvas laundry bags in lieu of plastic.
- Post-consumer compostable notepads and pencils in guestrooms.
- Eco-sensor thermostats in guestrooms.
- PATH Water recyclable water bottles in rooms may be refilled at the refilling stations located throughout the resort.
- Intelligent Blends in-room coffee packaged in “K-Cups” made of an advanced proprietary blend of #5 recyclable polypropylene in lieu of plastic.
- Gift Shop featuring sustainable, recyclable, upcycled, environmentally safe products plus educational books and toys for children.
- First resort partner in the U.S. to feature Dock to Dish™, a program designed to connect diners with small-scale fishing communities to enjoy high quality hyper-local seafood in the most sustainable manner.
- We proudly feature PATH Water, an alternative to plastic water bottles, throughout the resort, in retail, dining outlets and guestrooms. Complimentary recyclable bottles provided once per stay and may be refilled at multiple stations located throughout the resort.
- Discounts offered at all outlets for utilizing any reusable vessel.
- No single-use plastics. Disposable items are only compostable items such as avocado pit straws, rice paper wrapped food items, biodegradable corn starch cups, soft drinks in cans or glass only.
- Member of Surfrider Foundation – Ocean Friendly Resorts.
- On-site Eco-Educator and Champion offering daily nature walks to explain the Keys’ ecosystem along with interactive science classes.
- Beach and underwater clean-ups organized monthly.
- Dolphins Plus Marine Mammal Responder located nearby joins families with dolphin swims to provide valuable education opportunities, with all donations going to the work of this non-profit research facility.
- 1000 Mermaids and Ocean Rescue Alliance offers an incredible education program around their coral reef restoration mission. Baker’s Cay offers a display model to educate our guests on this state-of-the-art coral lok technology used to rebuild coral and protect endangered habitats and coastlines.
- Hulya – swimwear made from recycled plastic bottles.
- PATH Water – made 100% in the USA from locally sourced aluminum, PATH is forging the way to end single-use plastic water bottles.
- Lather – a carbon-neutral business featuring natural products in EcoPure recyclable packaging and soy-based inks.
- Patron Tequila – custom barrel program with Patron, a leader in conservation hosting a state-of-the-art water recycling program, and producer of over 5,500 tons of agave fertilizer compost annually.
- Dolphins Plus Marine Mammal Responder – research marine mammal rehabilitation facility located in Key Largo focused on connecting families with marine mammals to provide valuable education opportunities, with all donations going to the work of this non-profit research facility.
Want to learn more?
Email: [email protected]